Monday 3 June 2013

Retina Galaxy


Tonight I went to a poetry reading at La Mama. It was great, I went with Kassie (myhousemate/bestfriend/sisterthatineverhad) and we are both now awe-struck fan girls of Tom Joyce. His voice was soft and his words were fluid like rain, his poems unfolded like a story that had everyone in the audience entranced. We both felt so inspired and I came home and wrote some more poetry myself, fixing things up for my poetry folio I'll be handing in next week for Uni. It's probably the only subject I'm not stressed about because I've actually got everything pretty much together.. Here's something I wrote have a gander have a read;

Things become very different over time.
You-
Whose head once seemed like a universe,
a world under your eyelids,
who are you who’s in there, inside that mind of yours?
back then - when - your eyes lost focus and you
stared at that middle point in gravity
thinking thoughts, I thought ‘what are they?’
and now,
I know the story behind each rip in your jeans,
and the bruise on your knee
and the scar on your arm
and where you got that poster
and why you don’t like beetroot
and who your old friends are
how you hate them now
and
me
you used to think I liked cats
that I only liked girls
that I was overconfident overexcited overrated
and now                 you know               that when you ask me for a sip
of my diet coke and I say
'yeah okay' in that voice that I actually
mean no I want it for myself sorry.
and now                 you know
that I’m selfish and I’m bored
and now               I know
that you’re controlling and a pervert
                  but then I’ll read something you wrote
a poem a lyric a line a sentence and I think-
where did this come from?
behind those eyelids
that retina galaxy – and I think-
your head is still a world
                  I’ve yet to comprehend.



No comments:

Post a Comment