Tuesday 16 September 2014

Spring.

I'm lying in my underwear, thin
film of sweat and the heavy
breath makes a wave
through my window.  
From where I lie the trees
are upside down, morning 
masturbation with the sigh 
of a season's arrival. 
Spring is here 
to perform open heart surgery.
From where I lie (on the trampoline
this time) the grass ripples 
like a body beneath me. 
The blood in my eyelids
cocoons my vision, and I can see 
the birds. I can see their wings.
I run for the train 
like water down the drain, I fly 
on baked pavement and breathe
with the newness of it all.
I'm standing
in a new-home dream, my hands
cradle your milkshake skull it's a 
quiet gathering 
under my eyelids, tonight. 
Wind rips through my bedroom
and upends my heartbeat, jawline
buzzing with the second coming.
From where I lie (underwater 
this time) I find myself thinking
of teeth and tongues, I'm a stranger
perhaps, to the want.
Soaked to the bone with spring on
my breath I find myself feeling
the weather in my head, and I savour the seconds 
of knowing / not knowing
anything. From where I lie
(in my head, all the time)
I'm listening to the snap crackle
of oil in a pan and the steady
thock of an onion chop, 
the grainy whispers of TV sitcoms
and the water wind-chime of wine
filling my mum's glass, the trees 
whispering to each other and I find
myself feeling the house in my lungs 
and the house,
it breathes beneath me. 

4 comments:

  1. God. As I'm here heading into autumn, how funny it is to read this and feel a breath of spring air. The way you put words together is so haunting, individual, and fully superb. Milkshake skull, jawline buzzing with the second coming, morning masturbation with the sigh of a season's arrival. I could read you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice poem, I sincerely, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kinda makes me want more.

    ReplyDelete