Tuesday 4 June 2013

Society6

So I made an account - www.society6.com/kittychrystal

It seems a lot harder then I originally (naively) thought, i.e you have to have hundreds of followers for your work to come up on even the first 10 pages of the site's art listing, also each piece you post has to have over 5 'likes' before it can even be bought. Oh well it's still good exposure.. Me and Seb have been joking how we're just not 'marketable' to the public - and although we like our own art, it's probably not the stuff people want to buy to have on their bedroom walls or whatever. Then I started trying to paint something that more suited the 'popular' tastes, and then decided that was really stupid and there was no point creating anything if it's just to suit other people's concepts of good art and not my own. 

Last night, before I went to La Mama, me and Seb undertook an epic journey just to get to an art gallery opening in Collingwood. Epic because we missed our train, then got off at the wrong stop, waited for about 20 minutes for a cab to finally stop for us - and then half way there (when we finally got in a cab) we realised the opening was in fact not until tonight. So we went and had dinner at Viet Rose on brunswick street which was delicious and so good and we felt so much better about everything, and I bought a biography on Vladmir Nabokov's wife, and I told Seb how I'd love to write a biography on someone. It's sort of my dream, to travel and research the lives and works of my favourite writers and write some sort of new journalism/immersion/creative non-fiction piece. And Seb said he'd like to write his own autobiography, but he didn't think anyone would read it, because he's not famous. And I said that if he wrote it well and in his own style and enjoyed doing it, then he should do it regardless of whether it's 'marketable' or not. And that concludes my moral advice on the dilemma of art for the sake of the consumer. Here's a better quality pic of my wood nymph;


No comments:

Post a Comment