Monday 24 March 2014

Dream of life.




I want to write about 
the sharp sigh of your asthma puffer                    evening light lending you an 
illuminated texture
like the down feathers of a quilted sleeping bag.           I want to write about 
the open window that kept me warm by
contrast between our muted street
and our respective doonas.                        I want to write about the self 
sufficient world that is your bed
                                    and lockable bedside drawer complete with coke cans 
candles and antiperspirant deodorant.
I smile when I see the old tequila shot glass full of cigarette butts, thinking of 
the time you said              'everything becomes an ashtray'                caught 
red handed ashing into a
quickly cooling bowl of porridge we had both
shied away from after burnt tongues and dry mouths.
I want to write about how you
still don't know how to use the dishwasher and
I will never tell you because
we are far too sensible and
creative to have a conversation
about household chores.                                           I want to write about our 
house and how we complain about it and
yet we seem to spend more time there than we care to admit, case in 
point myself as I write this en route to the tarn
when I should be in class
unable to avoid the gravitational pull
like the elastic snap-back of an umbilical cord, felt somewhere
behind my belly button and connected
to that mildew infested green couch on the veranda.

I want to come home and put on your jumper
and find a place to rest my feet
on the cup-strewn coffee table
tea in one hand cig in the other and hear about your day        How was work? 
How are your lungs? What did you eat, what did you like on Instagram?
                       I want to write about the lemongrass
and ginger tea
                      you made me
when I was sick and you said it hurt you when I coughed
cause we don't have grown ups taking care of us right now
so we gotta take care of each other you know.              I want to write about 
the way you know what I'm thinking sometimes, I want to write about the 
way we relate the feeling 
of waking up
                        in the evening 
                                               to Edvard Munch's
                                                                        Scream
all open doors and dark
the naked window exposing the ugly sky.                     I want to write about 
                     all the skies we've seen
weight safely on the beams
of the corrugated iron roof, teacups tucked       
between knees and clouds
of smoke drifting like ghosts across the trees,                 I want to write about 
the clarity of dawn breaking.
And the beautiful music 
                                      of the garbage truck. 

5 comments:

  1. i want you to write about it all too, fuck... you are so good at articulating how the banal is somehow magical with the right person. i love how you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely of you, thank you so much!! xxxx

      Delete
  2. I love the layout of this post. Your writing is always so sexy and fresh and inventive. It always make me feel alive. You are wonderful, darling.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it....write it.all.
    I have more.than 10 illustrations on my mind right now (i'm a painter) all because.of what.you.wrote... inspiring, dreamy thoughts.you have.... keep writting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, I love your illustrations!! xxx

      Delete