Monday 10 March 2014

Penance.



i.

This is the truth.
You were a wild thing, reckless and
almost chaotic, a runaway train
hurtling toward me, I
wanted that adventure (to disappear) and to forget
those very real things, back then.
I was a cowering ostrich, its head in the sand.
You were the tornado
that saved me.

ii.

A photo. You on our bed, hair
wet and a smile that’s a stranger to me now.
After that photo was taken we drank tequila and
I punched you in the eye (I guess I was reckless too)
we were old souls, roaming
hand in hand like trouble coming.
All those things, the pieces of me missing, love
and all that falls between the sheets
has a habit of leaving one starved.

iii.

This is how we worked.
I come home drunk, bones aching your name
like it’s written on my pelvis
you, half sleeping with a neck for my lips
and us, slipping into dreams before untangling our limbs
waking to a comfortable silence
that stretches on for years.
Safe. And tortuous.
Cruelty has many disguises.

iv.

This is the truth.
I turned you out like day old bread showing
premature signs of rot.
Then I begged you back, carpet burn knees and
sticky tears. Your heart 
was the Sistine chapel, dizzyingly
out of my reach. We left each other
scarred, burned out like matches.
Penance is this poem. (And all the others)



6 comments:

  1. "dizzyingly out of reach" that is just fucking perfect…
    this entire piece speaks to me, deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful blog....keep in touch...plz join my blog
    http://9shonalimukherji9.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. captivating. i love your writing so much. this piece is perfection.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my favorite. Section iii is flawless. I love feeling someone's name tacked onto my pelvis.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words burn me.

    Also, thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete