Wednesday 25 March 2015

kind of like clapping



i walked your street, it was morning
like a public holiday
daylight’s fingers
messing with my inner winter.

i could feel the flower bed, fox’s house,
the place where santa was. ‘we know you,’
they say, turning like little doors.

the hill under the house is tall
the wind rattles its joints. outspoken leaves
litter the yard, still scattered
with past conversation.

the cupid angel sits and waits, the numbers
tumble round // waiting for an answer.

as if i didn’t know --

in the dehydrated first gasp
of post-wine morning
i forgot, i think, to pretend.

heavy in their sockets and tired
of their duty. i'd laugh off the worry
if it wasn't stuck like mould.

in the office she took my card
avoided my smile, sent me back
to my seat where i sat and remembered --

the time we were running
(for the train? not sure) my shoes
broken and anyway. 

i've been here before, the letterbox knows --
my brain, a soft pool of uncertainty.

quiet street, the cars have turned away
and the dogs all lie fence bound.
cloud break makes tanbark look warm,
but i know that it’s not.

i skipped the puddles, her scattered talk
on things, i mean, everything--
thought you’d left
turned to window

saw nothing but cloud
i think.




3 comments:

  1. Went through your blog. Amazingly written. Love it. :)x
    Blog-Lovesicklilac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good god I adore this.
    "daylight’s fingers
    messing with my inner winter."

    I feel this whole post. Beautiful work as always

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those quiet streets, as if all the people were gone somewhere and I was left all alone.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete