Sunday 3 November 2013

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.

I really love studying modernism, except I take so long to write the essays because I get so side tracked with my readings because I love it all too much - I'm supposed to be writing about Ezra Pound but as usual I got side tracked listening to these amazing old recordings of him reading Sestina: Altaforte (his voice is so great) and then I found this hilarious letter written to T.S. Eliot, who, like Pound, explored the objective correlative and yet did so without the influence of Pound's work - to which Pound said 'You've done it on your own, you bitch!' and I found that so funny. How great is Prufrock? I'm going stir crazy because I've been house-bound essay writing, blood boiling. Today Seb turns 21. We're going to Sydney in December. I love T.S. Eliot but I wish I could have written Prufrock first.

I grow old … I grow old …        120
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me.        125
I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown        130
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.


1 comment:

  1. Mmmm that poem is glorious. I also love Modernism. Always been one of my favorites :)

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete