Tuesday 27 May 2014

rattle snake reeling

Quietly sipping on a dream I hold close, realising now the one I love most is the me who stands despite it all making plans to be a good person and do those things right you know that night we shared a secret and a smoke and I listened while you spoke yeah I really did listen. 
So listen-
It's not so hard to tell the truth and  be a friend and all the rest and I know you do it well, and I know you so I can tell when things aren't right and you're putting up a fight to all those voices in your mind saying  you're running out of time and the days are ticking by like your heart ticks over those same old lines and I'm sifting through all those scraps of paper trying to find the hope you gave me cause all I have to give is what I learnt from your pages and you're gonna live and be someone big I know these things you know, I know the lung rattle feeling - rattle snake reeling - she said I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and i'm telling you now that your feelings matter and today I held the hand of my little girl self surrounded by the people I love and I told her it would all be okay and it's okay to play and innocence in children isn't a given it's a privilege and a circumstance of luck and location and you know I know these things the hard way and right back at you baby with your hat tipped left, let's stay a while in this crumbling place with peeling paint and watch the sky some more some more I could look up there till my brain feels sore and my feet speak riddles about where they've been, where they've been. I've seen skin turn a shade of grey while mine breathes and sighs and I wish I could protect you from all those lies and make it all okay like you did for me that day and right now all I can tell you is it's okay and it's okay to play. 

2 comments:

  1. this reads so effortlessly. Innocence is a privilege many have been denied, I agree.xx


    dreaming is believing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading Nikki, I'm glad you agree :)

      Delete