Tuesday 3 June 2014

running through my circuits like a heartbeat


~

I’m not sure if I’m alone locked in land
dreaming of the sea and the sand, sweating over these pots and pans while 
your black tongue works its magic with undetectable damage 
and yet here I am holding these dirty knives
I can make myself feel all right
I heard a poem under lamplight with the soft breath of a small
small
child and
there’s a rusty consistency to the words I heard, rattled around by a phone call
my brain snake blocking certain empathy to any one man did I ever tell you-
you had blue eyes, just once
and there’s nothing more to be said out loud, I can dream away the little stings
paper cuts on unfairly fair skin
perhaps we were never meant to recreate god’s wings, perhaps
these little games are just tricks of the trade to a battle scared victim of self hate
and bring me all the little prayers and declarations of love and loyalty
and I’ll show you why it means shit all
faced with the unknown truth, written on the wall in my inner child’s crayon
it says
‘I learnt something new.’ I reply;
‘I’m learning all the time, learning to like this old flesh of mine’
who’s to say there’s a wrong way to spend our time, and I’ll spend it with
a smile please and thank you. who’s to say
how it’ll sit with me tomorrow but right now there’s a fleeting feeling
that those crooked bathroom tiles really have seen it all
and the peeling paint isn't so bad when it smiles down
in a quiet street of shadowed eyes watching, I’m a lonely house unlocked and 
waiting
the air of my future is thick and threatening
in its aura of unknown potential.

~

10 comments:

  1. "I’m a lonely house unlocked and waiting,
    the air of my future is thick and threatening"
    ...that's brilliant... I get it.. I get it all... sadly I get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often feel that I must relearn something I used to know quite well... "this old flesh of mine." I was invincible once. Where did that girl go - the one who didn't fear?

    xx
    LuLu
    Breakfast After 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's something we have to do constantly as we adjust into adulthood, we're never as invincible as we thought we were as children or as teenagers. But acknowledging that you have the potential to make mistakes doesn't mean you can't make them - just learn from them as you grow xx

      Delete
  3. i can always FEEL what you're writing. you are remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, this is amazing! you have a great way of putting words together. it's like free, accidental, unforced poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fluidity and rhyme scheme in this piece are unreal. I adore this. Everything you write is my favorite.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bb grl u say the nicest things! you're my favourite :)

      Delete
  6. "your black tongue works its magic with undetectable damage 
    And yet here I am holding these dirty knives"

    Who writes shit like that? I say that with the utmost respect. Dark magic and dirty knives never sounded so nice. You write well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ryan :) You write well too. xx

      Delete