Sunday 11 August 2013

I've been away

I haven't done a post in ages because so much has happened that i didn't know where to start and to be honest i just couldn't really be bothered. Since my last post, I travelled around Japan for three and a half weeks which was incredible fuuuuck off Japan is so cool. So quirky and interesting, everything is so time efficient and fast, the technology is amazing and everyone was so lovely. Some photos;








This last one's a lil mirror selfie of me in Yayoi Kusama's installation piece in the All You Need is Love exhibition in the Mori Art museum - this was definitely a highlight of the trip for me, Yayoi is one of the most interesting and amazing artists still alive today. She's now 84, and in her time as created amazing works in the realms of painting, drawing, installation, photography, film, poetry and fiction. Her avant-garde works were inspirational to the likes of Andy Warhol. For the past few years, she has been a voluntary patient at the Seiwa Hospital for mentally ill. Most of her pieces involve and are based around polka-dots. "...a polka-dot has the form of the sun, which is a symbol of the energy of the whole world and our living life, and also the form of the moon, which is calm. Round, soft, colorful, senseless and unknowing. Polka-dots become movement... Polka dots are a way to infinity."

When I went to the exhibition I had no idea her work would be a part of it, and i was so excited that it was. I also saw my first ever Frida Kahlo painting, which was breath-taking! It was the beautiful painting 'My Parents, my Grandparents and I'




There was also a wall of Nan Goldin photography - this was amazing to see in person, Seb got me onto Nan Goldin last year when he went on a spree and bought a few of her books, they were so personal and intimate and disturbing and I couldn't look away. 


And then there was The Madonna of Port Lligat which is my favourite Dali painting and I just stood in awe before it. 

I also went to Fujirock was which such a good end to the trip, it was up in the mountains and there was mist and it rained but we enjoyed the rain and we saw The Cure, Cat Power, Nine inch nails, Haim, The XX, Daughter, Flying Lotus, Vampire Weekend and heaps more but those were the ones I remember most.

This is a drawing I did before I left;


And these are two drawings I did when I was away using Japanese ink and a 'manga' nib that I bought at the Anime museum in Kyoto;




And this is a drawing I did the other day;


Since I've been back I've been to see Before Midnight at the Nova, which was an emotional experience! I love the first movie Before Sunrise, it's probably my favourite movie I know it's a bit corny but i just love it. It's honest. And the sequel, though some people don't like it (fuck em), I really loved - just the whole idea of making a sequel 9 years later and following the lives of the characters 9 years down the track with the same actors it just works so well. And then the third piece in the trilogy, Before Midnight, just blew me away it was so raw and crazy and honest and intimate and had that really strange happy/sad feeling I often get. 
Jack and I also went to see Einstein on the Beach, the Opera composed by Phillip Glass - and I'm so glad we went because it's not often produced, and we were both amazed/awestruck/confused/deeply moved by the whole experience. I can't even begin to explain it you'll just have to look it up yourself if you care.

Yesterday I went to Newport and met Brodie who owns the online store Where Are my Stars? and we did a photo shoot for her new collection. My friend George was the photographer which was good because I was so nervous because i really don't like that much attention and I kept getting anxious that I wouldn't fit into the clothes or that I'd look stupid or fall over but it actually went really well. We dressed up as aliens, the clothes were amazing and I can't wait to see the photos when they're done. 
Right now I'm working on a short story maybe I'll post it here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment